Getting an Emigration Clearance Certificate

A foreigner with an immigrant or non-immigrant visa leaving the Philippines is required to get an Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC). Issued by the Bureau of Immigration (BI), it certifies that you have no pending obligation with the government of the Philippines. There are two types of ECCs: ECC-A and ECC-B.

ECC-A and how to get it

Also known as “regular ECC”, ECC-A is required for the following foreign nationals intending to leave the country:

  • Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa (i.e. “tourist visa”) who have stayed in the Philippines for six (6) months or more;
  • Holders of expired or downgraded Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas;
  • Holders of valid Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas but are leaving for good;
  • Philippine-born foreign nationals who will depart from the Philippines for the first time; How to get it
  • Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa with Orders to Leave; and
  • Seafarers who have stayed in the Philippines for 30 days or more with a duly approved discharge from BI.

How to get it

  • The BI main office and selected BI satellite offices are authorized to issue this document. If visiting a satellite office, it is best to verify if it is included in the list of authorized offices before proceeding. You may find their contact numbers here.
  • Secure and fill out an application form. Attach the following supporting documents:
    • Original Alien Certificate Registration (ACR) I-Card or paper-based ACR (to be surrendered);
    • Photocopy of the passport bio-page and passport page bearing the valid visa implementation;
    • Photocopy of the parent’s passport bio-page, visa implementation page, and latest admission with valid authorized stay, if the applicant is below 18 years old;
    • Photocopy of order of downgrading (if applicable);
    • Photocopy of the official receipt(s) of payment for the latest Annual Report and other applicable fees; and
    • Five (5) pieces 2×2 colored photograph with white background taken within the last three months from the date of application.
  • Wait for the issuance of Order of Payment Slip (OPS).
  • Pay the corresponding fees: PhP 710.00 for minors (below 14) and PhP 1,210.00 for adults. Note, however, that these amounts may change without prior notice.
  • Submit the accomplished application form, attachments, and original Official Receipts.
  • Present the claim stub on the appointed date and time of return for releasing of Original Certification and Receipts.
  • Acknowledge receipt by signing the duplicate copy of the Certification.

Applications for regular ECCs must be filed at least three (3) days prior to departure. Regular ECCs, which are valid for one (1) month upon issuance, may only be used once.

ECC-B and how to get it

ECC-B is issued to those who have immigrant and non-immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily. Valid for one (1) year, the ECC-B is a single-use receipt that serves as a Special Return Certificate (for Non-Immigrants) or Re-entry Permit (for Immigrants).

How to get it

  • ECC-B may be secured at the BI Main Office or in the airport upon departure.
  • Fill up the ECC Application form. Note that the form requires you to attach a 2×2 colored photograph with white background taken within the last three (3) months.
  • Present your passport and ACR I-Card.
  • Pay the corresponding fees – that’s Php2,800 per passenger. Note, however, that this amount may change without prior notice.
  • Wait for your receipt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *