Change of Name – Cost and Process

Dear Atty. Duran-Schulze,

Hi, I came across your website and I wanted to inquire about legally changing my name. How much would it cost? How long will it take to process? What are the requirements needed to begin the process?

Thank you.


Dear Gerard,

We have three different laws in changing the name in the Philippines.

If you want to change your full name or surname, or when you only need to make substantial corrections such as clerical or typographical errors in any entry in Civil Registry documents in your name, then Rule 103 of the Revised Rules of Court will apply. You can file it with the RTC of the province where you are a resident for three (3) years prior to the filing. 

If you want to change your first name or nickname, day or month (not the year) of birthdate, gender, and correction of clerical errors of entries in Civil Registry, it is covered under Republic Act No. 9048. It can be filed by any person having direct and personal interest in the correction of a clerical or typographical error in an entry and/or change of first name or nickname. 

The process of filing for change of name for clerical errors are the following:

  1. Obtain or acquire the following document (Note: You must provide only at least two (2) copies of the documents listed below.) :
    1. Applicant’s Birth Certificate
    2. Earliest School Records
    3. Baptismal Certificate
    4. Clearance of no pending case or criminal record, which shall be obtained from the following: Employer (if employed), NBI and Police.
    5. Medical certification issued by an accredited government physician that the petitioner has not undergone sex change or transplant
    6. Medical records
    7. Children’s birth certificate
  2. Publication of petition
  3. File with the local Civil Registry office of the city or municipality where the record being sought is corrected or changed is kept.

If you want to correct substantial errors or cancellation of entries in the Civil Registry, then Rule 108 of the Revised Rules of Court shall govern. It can be filed by any person interested in any act, event, order or decree concerning the civil status of persons which has been recorded in the Civil Register. You can file it in the RTC of the city or province where the corresponding Civil Registry is located.

The timeline would depend on the court’s schedule. With the ongoing restrictions brought about by the pandemic, Covid-19, court’s have limited schedules and workforce. But it would take about a minimum of six (6) months to one (1) year for the court to process the change of name.

Need further information and assistance?  Talk to our Legal team at Duran & Duran-Schulze Law. Call us at 632-8478-5826 or send an email to for more information.

Check out this videos to know more:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *