How to Get an Alien Employment Permit (AEP)

An Alien Employment Permit (AEP) is issued by the Philippines’ Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to foreign nationals who intend to work in the country. The AEP is a requirement for several employment visas.

Who are required to apply for an AEP?

All foreign nationals seeking gainful employment in the Philippines need to secure an AEP, regardless of the nature or duration of their employment. These include non-resident foreign nationals who are already working in the Philippines and those who already have working visas.

Holders of Special Investors Resident Visa, Special Retirees Resident Visa, Treaty Traders Visa, or Special Non-Immigrant Visa also need to secure an AEP if they occupy an executive, technical or supervisory position in any company.

Who are exempted from the AEP?

  • Foreign nationals with resident status
  • Members of diplomatic services and government officials of accredited countries
  • Members of international organizations of which the Philippines is a member such as the Asian Development Bank, specialized United Nations agencies and the International Rice Research Institute (spouses of members are also exempted)
  • Missionaries who engage only in missionary work and not in gainful employment
  • Foreign nationals who only have voting rights in a Philippine-based operation or business
  • Visiting, adjunct or exchange professors who come to the Philippines under a special arrangement between a Philippine and a foreign institution or government
  • Owners and representatives of POEA (Philippine Overseas Employment Association)-accredited businesses who come to the Philippines to interview applicants  for employment abroad

What are the requirements in an AEP application?

  • Accomplished and notarized Application Form
  • Photocopy of passport with visa, or for refugees, Certificate of Recognition
  • Contract of Employment/Appointment or Board Secretary’s Certificate of Election
  • Photocopy of the employer’s DTI or SEC registration
  • Photocopy of Mayor’s Permit to operate a business, or Certification from the PEZA or Ecozone Authority if the business is in an ecozone
  • Curriculum vitae

What are the fees and penalties involved?

  • Application fee of P10,000 for an AEP valid for one year
  • Additional P5,000 for every year or fraction of a year thereafter (but not exceeding 5 years)
  • A penalty of P20,000 is imposed on those who have been working without an AEP for a year or less

What are the steps in securing an AEP?

  • Submit the application form and required documents to the DOLE office at your intended place of work.
  • If you’re assigned to several branch offices or subsidiaries, or have an oversight function in operations around the country, the application may be submitted to any DOLE office.
  • Pay the fees.
  • After the documents are examined, your name and position as well as your employer’s name will be published in a newspaper.
  • Once your application is approved, you may claim the AEP card from the DOLE office.
  • If denied, you may file an appeal with the DOLE Secretary.

What are the grounds for denial of an AEP application?

  • Misrepresentation of facts or falsified documents
  • Applicant has a derogatory record
  • Availability of a Filipino who is qualified for the job intended for the foreign national

To avoid a denial or for a successful appeal, it is best to consult our team who can provide the necessary guidance throughout the entire process.

Alien Registration Program – Work Permit Philippines

Click the PDF link below to view the REVISED RULES FOR THE ISSUANCE OF EMPLOYMENT PERMITS TO FOREIGN NATIONALS from the Department of Labor and Employment:

Revised Rules for the Issuance of EP to Foreign Nationals

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *