Your Guide to Philippine Visa Types

The Philippines welcomes travelers from more than 100 countries without a visa, provided these travelers stay a maximum of 30 days to 6 months, depending on the country of origin. Nationals from selected countries are allowed a maximum stay of 7 to 14 days without a visa.

However, if you want to stay longer than the allowed maximum period, you will need to obtain the necessary visa from the Philippine Embassy or Consulate in your legal residence, or in certain exceptions, outside your home country.

Here’s a rundown on Philippine Visa types:

Temporary Visitor’s Visa (For Tourism or Business)

This grants permission to stay longer than the maximum allowed number of days without a visa. If you wish to extend your visit after the expiration of your temporary visitor’s visa, you may apply for an Extension of Stay at a Bureau of Immigration office in the Philippines before the visa expires.

Special Non-Immigrant Visa

This type of visa is given to foreign nationals who are coming to the Philippines as employees of qualified companies or under sponsorship of recognized institutions or agencies.

Non-Quota Immigrant Visa

This is given to foreign nationals who are spouses of Filipino citizens, unmarried children below 21 years old of Filipino citizens, and natural-born Filipinos who have acquired another citizenship.

Quota Visa

This is given to nationals of countries who accept Filipinos as immigrants. In many cases, these foreign nationals are required to show proof of financial capital or capacity to travel. They may also be required to possess skills or qualifications that would be beneficial to the country. Only 50 Quota Visas are granted every year.

Student Visa

A student visa is given to a foreign national who has been granted a Notice of Acceptance by a Philippine Higher Education Institution authorized to accept foreign students.

Special Resident Retiree Visa (SRRV)

This is a non-immigrant visa given to Philippine Retirement Authority applicants who have complied with the required minimum deposit investment. Holders of this visa type may live in the Philippines indefinitely and have multiple-entry privileges.

Special Investor’s Resident Visa (SIRV)

This is granted to a foreign national who is willing and able to invest at least US$75,000 in qualified investments in the Philippines. Holders of this visa can stay in the country indefinitely as long as they maintain their investments and qualifications.

Treaty Trader Visa (9D Visa)

This is granted to nationals of the United States, Japan and Germany who intend to carry out – or work for an entity that intends to carry out – “substantial trade” between their country of origin and the Philippines. “Substantial trade” refers to an investment of at least US$120,000 and a minimum volume of business.

Employment Visa – 9G Working Visa Philippines

Before any foreign national can work in the Philippines, he or she must obtain an employment or 9(G) visa as well as an employment permit.

To qualify for a 9(G) visa, it must be shown that the applicant’s services are indispensable to the operations, management, control or administration of a Philippine-based firm. The firm must petition for the employee to be granted a visa.

How To Get A Philippines Work Visa
One or more of the following employment permits are also required along with the employment visa:

  • Special work permit – should be obtained if the employment period is less than six months
  • Alien Employment Permit (AEP) – should be obtained if the employment period exceeds six months. An AEP is usually valid for one year unless the terms of employment requires a longer period. An employment visa will not be issued without an AEP.
  • Provisional permit to work – should be obtained pending the approval of the employment visa. This is valid for three months from the issue date.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *